"Add another option"

I’m doing a public-facing form is there a way to change the text “Add another option” to something more useful for a user?

Hello @Sam_uk, that’s not possible to change the text of this string. What would you like to change this text to?

1 Like

Something like ‘choose your answer’ or ‘choose an option’

From a user perspective, they haven’t ‘chosen an option’ yet so ‘Adding another option’ makes little sense to them.

Presumably, if I’m self-hosting I can overwrite this string? Do you know where it lives?

Hey @Sam_uk,

If you are self-hosting you can indeed change this string.

You can find the string in baserow/web-frontend/modules/database/locales/en.json, in there you have to go to rowEditFieldMultipleSelect.addOption, you can also just do a string search for “Add another option” in that file to find the correct field.

Keep in mind, there are several .json files in that directory, that will translate the string into different languages. If you just care about english, it’s fine to just change it for english, but be aware that it remain the same in the other languages (unless you change them too).

Let me know if you can’t find the entry or if you have any other questions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks. It’s complicated slightly as I have it in Cloudron (which is Docker) So maybe I’ll need to rebuild the container.
These are the files that are editable by me

Perhaps I could do something with the env file?

I’ve also asked here: Overwrite a string | Cloudron Forum

Hey @Sam_uk,

Those files won’t be enough, you will have to edit the actual translation file, you won’t be able to do that via the .env.

Personally I am not sure how you could do this in Cloudron since I haven’t used the platform before, but maybe somebody on your post will be able to assist you :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems they don’t think it’s a good idea to make /Locales/ writable.

Is there an upstream way of fixing this in your code? Just change the text to something that makes sense in more contexts? ‘Choose an option’ for example would make sense. It’s just the ‘another’ that makes it weird.

Sure if @bram doesn’t have any objections we can do that

Yeah sure, it’s okay with me to change the text from “Add another option” to “Choose an option”.

1 Like

@Sam_uk in that case the change will be in the next release of Baserow :slight_smile:

You can track the progress of the change here: Draft: Resolve "Change translation "Add another option" -> "Choose an option"" (!1039) · Merge requests · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab

1 Like

Great stuff, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like