Move a database to a different workspace?

I might be missing something really obvious but I can’t find anything in the UI that allows me to move a database to a different workspace.

I searched this forum as well for “relocate database” and “move database” and don’t seem to see anything.

If the operation is unclear, here is more clarity: I just have one workspace for personal databases and one for work databases and the work workspace I share with the team and the person I don’t. I now have, however, one personal database I want to share with the team so I want to move it into the team workspace.

Thanks for any direction on this!

2 Likes

Hey @bfranklin :wave:

Perhaps not the ideal solution you were looking for in terms of a one-click migration, but something you could do in the meantime until this feature ships is to export the tables that you want to move out of the current workspace and import them into the database that lives inside your work workspace.

Hope this helps!

Thanks @HiramFromTheChi. I guess this hasn’t been roadmapped yet? Glad I wrote it then to see if others find themselves in the same bind I’m in.

Sure thing @bfranklin—I can’t speak to the ETA of specific features, but the dev team constantly works to incorporate and deliver everyone’s suggestions.

There’s quite a lot! :sweat_smile:

I’m sure you’re not alone in your request, and there may be others that interest you as well. GitLab is typically the best place to keep tabs on this.

2 Likes

To sidestep the need to wait on this to be added, one can manually change the assignments of databases to workspaces directly inside the postgres database. I used TablePlus GUI editor to do this and then the table to edit is called “core_application” where you’ll find all your databases listed and assigned to workspaces. It looks like there is also a “core_workspace” table. There is also an “order” table in “core_application” which allows for the manual reordering of databases inside a workspace. By default right now, all databases are assigned an order of “1” and if you alter these then they are ordered from smallest to greatest number.

Doing this manually has always to be accompanied with a warning. Maybe you can make a tutorial/guide so users who want to manually do this have the least chance of an error.

1 Like

Agreed @Peter … definitely edit database at your own risk. The minor changes I outline above worked for my needs of moving a database to a new workspace and reordering databases within a workspace but it’s possible could lead to something unexpected in the future so I made note of the changes to remember and if I run into trouble down the line I can revert back.

2 Likes

Bump, looking for the same.

All the formulas need to be rewritten as well then :frowning:

I would also love to be able to do this easily. I just spent a decent amount of time setting up a database before I realized that it needs to be in a different workspace.

I’ve created an issue for this on the backlog (Move databases/application to another group (#1359) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab). It is possible to to move the database to another workspace by making a small change directly in the PostgreSQL database. Are you using the hosted or self-hosted version?

Self hosted version.

Beside that, would it be possible to also re-order workspaces?

You should be able to re-order workspaces via drag and drop. Does it not work for you?

I was trying to re-order by dragging it in here:

But what you showed me works, thanks!

Update here: I just had to revisit how I originally did this to make some changes and in the process I realized you can also use thie mehod of modify the core_application database table in a self-hosted install to get a database to live in two categories at once. In the screen shot below one is set to “NULL” but if I change that to another number like #2 then it would mean the “Life Plan DB” would be in both categories.

Disclaimer: This, again, require editing the core database and, as a result, is a bit risky so perhaps take a backup if nervous about this.

2 Likes