Option to unhide a row that gets suddenly hidden due to filter

Use case

1. I am adding data to my second row that doesn’t match the filters. So I am seeing the yellow message “Row does not match filters”.

2. I need to copy and paste some data from the first row into second row. Pasting this data will make the second row compliant with the filter.

3. But as soon as I focus out of the row, the second row disappears.

4. Now I need to:

• switch to a view which doesn’t have any filter
    • find my second row in the hundreds of regular rows
    • copy paste this data into that row
    • switch back to my original view

Use case 2

1. I am adding data to my second row that doesn’t match the filters. So I am seeing the yellow message “Row does not match filters”.
  2. I am selecting options in single select/multi select, and then by mistake/out of habit, I click outside the row.
  3. The second row disappears.
  4. Repeat point 4 above.

Known Workarounds

1. Duplicate the existing row and then any edit data - this way the duplicate row won’t lose any filters
  2. Use a form to create new rows.

Proposal

I occasionally run into this. And from the UX perspective it is jarring/sudden and does not offer any recovery.

I am not sure if other people do feel the same. The purpose of my proposal here is to offer a clean recovery:

A button “Unhide hidden row” (similar to “Restore deleted row”) that allows me (the user) a few seconds to unhide the row so I can continue editing it again.

The unhidden row will still have the same state as before. It will show “Row does not match filters”. And clicking outside it will hide it again (and show the button again).

Hello @gaurangtandon! Thanks for sharing the feature idea and thanks for describing examples of use cases in detail!

I’ve added your request to the list of discussions, and will keep you posted on this topic :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hello @gaurangtandon, I have feedback on this request: we plan to fix this ‘inconvenience’ but first will brainstorm on what is the right solution for this case. Here is the link to track the progress: Option to unhide a row that gets hidden due to the set filters (#1296) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab.

I personally share your pain with this issue :sweat_smile: Will keep you posted on the progress!

1 Like