Allow linked/lookup fields to show more than first 19 chars

This request is to allow expanding a column width to show more than 19 characters of a linked field. Often, it’s the end of an identifier that helps one to differentiate b/w records easier.

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 2.03.09 PM

Hello @mlee! Thanks for the suggestion, we’ll discuss this request with the team, and I’ll update you afterwards here :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmm… I wonder what the “right” number of characters would be. I imagine everyone has a different definition for what this number should be. After all, some linked fields will be lengthy, and even if the characters were expanded to be, say, 25, what would happen when you happen a field with 30 characters?

In this case, should all 30 be displayed? I wonder if there’s something flexible/dynamic that can be done, or if only certain parts of the linked field can be displayed, etc.

For example: I can see that the unique identifier is after the CO-Costilla prefixes, which is presumably why you’d like to expand the character preview. :slight_smile:

Maybe make it show characters based on column width? That way it could accommodate all data/field lengths? I’m sure that’s easier said that done.

Hello, we also need this enhancement. in 2 places : in the popup window permiting the selection in the linked table, like in this sample :

and also as @mlee says for the linked field :

The best way to implement this seems also for us to have the possibility to change the column width in the popup selection window and in the “base table”

Hello @mlee and @Vincent!

@HiramFromTheChi raised a good question as it’s indeed not obvious what the correct number of characters should be displayed. We briefly discussed this with Bram, and we think it makes sense not to limit width at all, so it shows a full text of linked fields. What do you guys think about this?

hey @olgatrykush - i think it makes sense to not limit width. thank you!

1 Like

Hey @mlee! Agreed, here is the issue to track the progress: Remove limitations on how many characters to show of a linked field (#1073) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab. We plan to implement this change in Baserow 1.11 (next release) :raised_hands:

2 Likes