Application with two types of user

I want to create a Baserow application with two types of external user, teachers and students.
Is it advisable to create two separate user tables or a single user table in which the users are differentiated by a field?

Is it then possible to redirect users once they have registered/logged in to the relevant dashboard?

Or would it be better to create a single dashboard and display/hide elements according to user type?

Hey @bastien, thanks for testing out the application builder!

@frederikdc is the best person to help you out here! :pray:

Is it advisable to create two separate user tables or a single user table in which the users are differentiated by a field?

I would advise to store it in 2 separate tables because I assume there will be many differences between the data you store about a student and a teacher? If their fields are very similar, you can consider to do it in a single table.

Is it then possible to redirect users once they have registered/logged in to the relevant dashboard?

Not yet, but this is coming in one of the next releases.

Or would it be better to create a single dashboard and display/hide elements according to user type?

It depends on your case. If the dashboard for the teacher and student is very different, I would even consider to create a separate application. Displaying and hiding elements based on the role of the user is coming in one of the next releases.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer.

Other questions that come to mind:

• Will it be possible to restrict access to pages to a specific type of user?
  • Will it be possible to set up a payment barrier for external users? Subscription, pay-per-use?
  • If the answer to these two questions is yes, is it reasonable to build a SaaS on Baserow?