Baserow + Render HTTP issue after upgrading to 1.23.1

Please fill in the questionnaire below.

Technical Help Questionnaire

Have you read and followed the instructions at: *READ ME FIRST* Technical Help FAQs - #2 by nigel ?

Answer: Yes

Self-Hosted Installation and Setup Questions

Delete this section if you are using Baserow.io.

How have you self-hosted Baserow.

Render

What are the specs of the service or server you are using to host Baserow.

Standard - 1 CPU 2GB for Web Service

Which version of Baserow are you using.

How have you configured your self-hosted installation?

Render Environment variables are:

• AWS related keys, BASEROW_AMOUNT_OF_WORKERS, BASEROW_ROW_PAGE_SIZE_LIMIT, BASEROW_TRIGGER_SYNC_TEMPLATES (set to False), DATABASE_URL, PORT (set to 10000), REDIS_URL, SECRET_KEY

What commands if any did you use to start your Baserow server?

n/a - using deploy latest commit.

Describe the problem

HTTP issue (see screenshot). I am trying to upgrade to latest and can get as far as the commit just before the release for 1.23.1. Since deploying I am seeing the below HTTP error. I wonder if it may be just as simple as a missing environment variable which is required in this new version, any help would be massively appreciated please :slight_smile:

One side note, when deploying the latest commit, following through the logs it says the service is now live etc, so no noticeable deployment issues. Hence why I have an incling it may just be some change in environment variables that I require.

Describe, step by step, how to reproduce the error or problem you are encountering.

1. Deploy to this commit - succeeds fine - df1e906f10c3f98dcdca68970553b95f776ec9ca
  2. Deploy to this commit - fails (see screenshot) - 9a294524b788d1bbf3f38cb4fd36bfe0a0899b27

Provide screenshots or include share links showing:

ERROR Shown in browser after deploying to 1.23.1.

How many rows in total do you have in your Baserow tables?

n/a for question

Please attach full logs from all of Baserow’s services

n/a for question

Hi @kezza, it sounds a bit as if your internal caddy server is configured to run in HTTPS mode, instead of HTTP, which apparently is required by Render. Have you set the BASEROW_CADDY_ADDRESSES environment variable by any chance, and if so, what is the value?

I’ve got the same issue. What value should I put to BASEROW_CADDY_ADDRESSES. I deployed it from the original repository.

@jmozzart, I recommend unsetting the BASEROW_CADDY_ADDRESSES value with Render. Baserow should use set the correct BASEROW_CADDY_ADDRESSES based on the automatically provided PORT env var by Render/Heroku. It will also force it to run on http instead of https.

If you’ve not set BASEROW_CADDY_ADDRESSES, would you then be able to run env in your container on Render, and share what the output it? This will give me better insights in terms of how it’s configured.

Hi @kezza, @jmozzart, there was indeed a problem with the deployment on Render. This has been fixed in 1.24.0.

1 Like

Apologies for the delayed response in helping debug this issue.

Appreciate the team digging into this, thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, not sure if I am impacted by the same issue, but my baserow - starting today morning (maybe yesterday late evening, not sure) STOPPED TO WORK.
I am selfhosting in a Docker (running on my Synology NAS), today morning I found out that my baserow is not accessible anymore and the docker container is restarting all the time again and again?

Was there any update released in a last day? My docker environmend is configured to check all applications once per a day (during night) and if there is any newer version, it is re-deployed.

@bram @olgatrykush please, can you let me know? We need to work with the database but now it is not possible.

I tried manually to re-deploy it again, but still have the same problem with restarting.
Here is an excerpt from the log:

β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘    β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β•šβ•β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β• β•šβ•β•  β•šβ•β•β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•šβ•β•  β•šβ•β• β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•  β•šβ•β•β•β•šβ•β•β•
Version 1.24.0
=========================================================================================
Welcome to Baserow. See https://baserow.io/installation/install-with-docker/ for detailed instructions on 
how to use this Docker image.
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:56:48] Running setup of embedded baserow database.  
sed: can't read /etc/postgresql/11/main/postgresql.conf: No such file or directory
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:57:41] No DATABASE_HOST or DATABASE_URL provided, using embedded postgres.  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:57:41] Using embedded baserow redis as no REDIS_HOST or REDIS_URL provided.   
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:57:41] Importing REDIS_PASSWORD secret from /baserow/data/.redispass  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:57:41] Importing SECRET_KEY secret from /baserow/data/.secret  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:57:41] Importing BASEROW_JWT_SIGNING_KEY secret from /baserow/data/.jwt_signing_key  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:57:41] Importing DATABASE_PASSWORD secret from /baserow/data/.pgpass  
=========================================================================================
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—    β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—
β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘    β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β•šβ•β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β• β•šβ•β•  β•šβ•β•β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•šβ•β•  β•šβ•β• β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•  β•šβ•β•β•β•šβ•β•β•
Version 1.24.0
Welcome to Baserow. See https://baserow.io/installation/install-with-docker/ for detailed instructions on 
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:57:41] Running setup of embedded baserow database.  
sed: can't read /etc/postgresql/11/main/postgresql.conf: No such file or directory
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:58:43] No DATABASE_HOST or DATABASE_URL provided, using embedded postgres.  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:58:43] Using embedded baserow redis as no REDIS_HOST or REDIS_URL provided.   
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:58:43] Importing REDIS_PASSWORD secret from /baserow/data/.redispass  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:58:43] Importing SECRET_KEY secret from /baserow/data/.secret  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:58:43] Importing BASEROW_JWT_SIGNING_KEY secret from /baserow/data/.jwt_signing_key  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:58:43] Importing DATABASE_PASSWORD secret from /baserow/data/.pgpass  
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—    β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—
Version 1.24.0
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:59:45] No DATABASE_HOST or DATABASE_URL provided, using embedded postgres.  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:59:45] Using embedded baserow redis as no REDIS_HOST or REDIS_URL provided.   
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:59:45] Importing REDIS_PASSWORD secret from /baserow/data/.redispass  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:59:45] Importing SECRET_KEY secret from /baserow/data/.secret  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:59:45] Importing BASEROW_JWT_SIGNING_KEY secret from /baserow/data/.jwt_signing_key  
 [STARTUP][2024-04-11 07:59:45] Importing DATABASE_PASSWORD secret from /baserow/data/.pgpass  

Hi @marcus, it appears that you have already updated to version 1.24.0. This is the reason why it’s failing because if you’re using the all-in-one image (baserow/baserow) with the embedded PostgreSQL version. You would need to perform a manual step to update your internal PostgreSQL database.

We’re going to announce this release with additional instructions today, but we already the new images in advance. You can follow the instructions on updating your PostgreSQL data directory here Install with Docker // Baserow, or use the PG 11 legacy image here Install with Docker // Baserow.

We made it so that the container should give update instructions if you have PG 11 installed, but that didn’t happen for some reason. We’re looking into that.

Can you help me with it please? I mean upgrading the PostgreSQL. I am not very skilled in it.
Not sure which method should I use.
Btw. I did not backup my database (my bad), because of the baserow container was updated automatically (using the ouroboros app).

I have sent you a message.
Thanks.

Please read the documentation that is provided. You just need to run the upgrade image that we have prepared once, or switch to the older baserow/baserow:1:23.2 or baserow/baserow-pg11:1.24.0 legacy one.

Ok, I will read it carefuly.

By checking a part of my environment - can you say if in my case I use the embedded PostgreSQL database or not?

See the screenshot:

obrazek

@marcus, if you need to get something working now, just change the baserow/baserow Docker image to baserow/baserow-pg11. I don’t know which tool you’re using, or how it works for you, but I think you should be able to switch images.

Hi bram,
it looks like I have some troubles. Upgrading did not help, or I maybe did something wrong (I did it via the docker interface by downloading the image and creating/running container from it).

So then I created a new container using the baserow/baserow-pg11 image, I used the same environment settings I had in my old (working) baserow container - before this I changed the port in my old container to a different one to avoid conflict, I used that old port in my new container.
I created it, but it started and stopped. (At this moment I did not set it to restart).

Would you be opened to remotely connect, inspect what’s wrong and do proper steps<

At least I would like to backup my old database (right now I don’t know how to do it so if you may do it, that would be great) so it is safe. Can you also check later if the database is OK and not corrupted?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

PS: if you are more familiar with portainer instead of Synology Docker app, then OK, I have Portainer running on my NAS machine, accessible via web browser interface as well.

bram, I made one additional attempt:
I just downloaded the 1.23.2 docker image and created container from it. I configured the environment with the same settings that I had in my previous (working) container

Unfortunately this also does not work.

Please, let me know if you can help me by connecting via remote session. I am afraid of my database if it still exists somewhere and is in good condition.

@bram , I tried to restore my whole /baserow/data folder from a backup from yesterday, to make myself sure that the data are not corrupted. Then I started my baserow container (which I have created from the baserow 1.23.2 docker image).

This still results in the same problem - container is stopped.

So what now? I restored my backup folder, I installed my container from 1.23.2 image, with the same environment settings as previous instance from yesterday and it still does not work.

Here is my log to download:

Could you check it and detect the problem? Just start from the line with this date and time:
2024-04-11 11:20:29
and go up.

Hi!

If you want to use Baserow with a new version of PostgreSQL, you should:

• take the deployment offline
  • ensure you have pg data dir backed up
  • run pg_upgrade from PostgreSQL in the version you want to upgrade with and point to pg data dir from the container. this will build a new pg data dir compatible with the new PG version
  • ensure pg data volume in docker points to the upgraded version
  • start the deployment

Thanks, but this is too much technical for me.
I would like to know, how to do it, what tools or commands to use - like step 1, step 2, step 3 …
I am not a tech guy

I’m sorry, I just noticed my post above is wrong actually. The procedure above requires a lot of manual work, but there’s an automated procedure for Baserow containers. Bram already posted a link to PG upgrade guide for Baserow which you should follow.

with great help and effort that @bram provided to me I managed to fix the problem and restore my baserow database again (special thanks for the time that he spent with it)

I am still on postgreSQL 11 version, but I plan to upgrade to postgreSQL 15 in the future

1 Like