Collecting user information on form submission

I’m hopeful this question isn’t covered in another thread…

I’m wondering if it’s possible to gather user information of logged in users when submitting data via a form. The scenario would be that a logged in user is sent a form. Upon submission, a field in the table would have a record of the user ID of the person who submitted data. In Django, this would be akin to request.user.username.

Maybe this is already possible and I just missed it?

We plan to add “created by” and “modified by” information to rows when users manipulate rows which is currently not tracked. Once this is done, it makes sense to make the forms compatible.

There is no specific date/plan for adding this feature, although we might decide to add it when working on access control in the following release.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply, @petrs!

Are there any updates on this? I’d like logged in users to be able to submit forms more than once and keep a record of changes.

Hey there @Sam_uk

So, we haven’t implemented something like that just yet. What we do have is the collaborators field type, which can link a user to a row. That field type is not available for forms yet so it won’t solve the issue mentioned here, but it is a step in the right direction.

We are also working on our Role Based Access Control (RBAC) system which will introduce a lot more accountability for “who has done what”. The initial version won’t be as fine grained as to assign permission or ownership to a single row (probably) but we do have that in our minds for a vNext.

So basically, I imagine once RBAC supports row ownership, this will be a much simpler feature to implement.

The timeline for all of this is undefined, but we are talking at least several months.

1 Like

Thanks. All my users are in Keycloak anyhow, so waiting for this Implement OAuth2/OpenID Connect support (#1254) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab

Presumably, RBAC would be compatible with SSO when that arrives.

Hello @Sam_uk, the feature single sign-on was released. Baserow supports SAML, OAuth 2, and OpenID Connect SSO.

RBAC was released as well :slightly_smiling_face:

Please check the details here: 1.13 release of Baserow // Baserow.