Currency field conversion Issue when importing airtable

After importing a database from Airtable, Currency fields are converted to Number fields lacking decimal places. After adding decimal places to the Baserow field, values after the decimal place are lost.
For example, an Airtable currency field of $1,323.25. After importing to Baserow, the Number field value is 1323. Then after adding decimal places, 1323.00.
Is there a setting in Baserow to maintain decimal precision when converting from Airtable’s Currency field to Baserow’s Number field?
If not, is there a suggested workaround other than manually copy/pasting?

I ran into the same issue. I ended up writing some JavaScript to re-import my currency fields using the API. It worked, but was a lot more effort. :crossed_fingers: the importer can be improved.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’ll probably convert them manually since it will take 2-4 hours to change rather than many more hours to self-host + write code.

1 Like

I don’t self-host, the API works with the hosted version. It did take some time to write the code, though, so depending on the size of your data manual might be the way to go. I did part of mine manually and got fed up enough that the coding was worth it.

1 Like

Hello @raycad! Welcome to the Baserow community :wave:

Sorry to hear you had problems with the Airtable importing. The problem you described is a bug and we gonna fix this shortly. Here is the issue: Bug: the currency field type conversion issue when importing from airtable (#1248) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab.

While checking your case, we also decided to prioritize adding the Currency field type to Baserow. Track the progress using this link: Currency field (#489) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab.

Thanks for pointing our attention to this question, and I’ll keep you posted on the progress regarding both issues :raised_hands:

Hello everyone !

I’m interested about this feature for my use case. I migrate from Airtable to Baserow and I need to transform 1 column with currency instead of text field.

@bram was working on it 3 months ago. What is the status about issue #489 ?

My column look like this actually :

Currency
€23.00
€48.00
[…]

And because the function “currency” is inexistant, I will transform into :

Currency (€)
[…]

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Hey @MacDarki, unfortunately, the currency Airtable import bug has not yet been fixed. What you can do as a temporary workaround is convert the currency field to a number field (with the same precision) in Airtable and then run the Airtable import in Baserow. You’ll then see that the precision is then preserved. After that you can undo the change in Airtable to revert back to the currency field.