Default option for Single Select field

Hello everyone! In Airtable, there’s a handy feature like choosing a default value for single select dropdowns. It would be great if it were also in Baserow, useful when a row should always have a certain default value by default, and it doesn’t have to be selected manually, which saves time.

1 Like

Great idea @Alexander. I’ve added it to the list of discussions. :ok_hand:

This is a feature I would find very helpful as well. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Alexander, @DataGecko, this feature request has been accepted. We even have an existing issue for it: Be able to specify a default value on all the fields where is makes sense (#2173) · Issues · Baserow / baserow · GitLab.

Do you think there are any other field types where we should introduce default options?

1 Like

Oh, well let me think, possibly Number, Date and Duration… default value using a formula… that might be useful. :slight_smile: Also a default for boolean would be nice. Thanks for asking. :green_heart:

hmm… most of my use cases are connected with single select, other field types are not as necessary as single dropdown) I will come with examples if remind something

Thank you @DataGecko. I’ve left a comment with your suggestion on the GitLab issue for developers to consider while working on the feature.

1 Like

HI! I’ve just checked the airtable, they have 2 fields with default values: single select and single line text.

Maybe because 2 oh them make most sense

CleanShot 2024-03-29 at 10.30.28
CleanShot 2024-03-29 at 10.30.02

I’ve only just started using Baserow to evaluate if it will work for my company and Default Value for single select is a must have to reduce data entry requirement. I know it’s available for text fields but we also need to have it on single select. Any idea how long these types of requests take to implement?

Hi @humphries.s, welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately there is no set timeline for these things as not only is it a matter of complexity of development but also of prioritisation too. Although you can’t influence the time it takes to develop, you can influence the priority of the issue by logging in to your GitLab account and giving the issue a thumbs up here: Be able to specify a default value on all the fields where is makes sense (#2173) · Issues · Baserow / baserow · GitLab. This way the team can assess how much this issue affects the community and can therefore reassess the priority of it.