How to sync data between Databases or Tables?

Hi there,

I have a simple question but can’t get it solved.

The situation is as this:
In database 1, I have a table called “Employees” with all the information that I need from an HR perspective (Names, phone numbers, addresses…).
In database 2, that I want to share with different people, I want the same list of people, but with extra columns with more sensible data about them (salary, ICE contacts…).

Is this a limitation or am I just stupid not to understand how to do it?
Thanks for the info. If I could get this to work, it would be a life saver.

Best regards!

Hello @novix, first of all, welcome to the Baserow community :wave:

These are two different databases, not tables under one database, right? In this case, that’s not possible, unfortunately. And we haven’t decided yet if we gonna introduce this feature to allow linking to a table in another database, but here’s the issue to track the updates: Link to a table in another database (#1354) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab.

Correct, two different databases.

The problem is that some data is sensitive en shouldn’t be shared with anyone within our organization. Only a few people should have access to it.
If there’s a solution to split this into 2 tables, it could also be solved, but I don’t see a way to get it to work. Linked data is always 2-ways visible.

For me personally, I think this would be a great future needed in many, smaller enterprises.

Hey @novix ,

You need to have the tables in the same database to link to each other at the moment.

If one of the tables has confidential information in it that should only be access by a selected amount of people you can make use of our new RBAC system!

Basically you will need to exclude everyone from the confidential table and invite the people that are allowed to work with the data.

The only data that will be exposed to users of the other table will be data that was linked by the privileged users. So if one of your HR users will link to the HR table and add one lookup then that lookup and link field will leak data, but as long as you don’t add another lookup no further information will be leaked on the other table.

Hope that helps :slight_smile: