Long text fields: copy-paste multi-row text and wrap-column (notion-like)

I would like to address two issues related to long text fields:

1. Importing multi-row text into a long text field cell: When attempting to copy and paste such text into Baserow, it gets split into different rows. This prevents importing a substantial amount of data that contains such fields through copy-paste.

2. Wrapping columns: Currently, there is no option to wrap a column as in Notion, where you can see all the text, including line breaks and formatting preservation. To achieve this in Baserow, you need to open an editing window. Implementing a feature like in Notion would greatly enhance usability, as there are many situations where text needs to be stored with line breaks. Examples include content plans, advertising texts, and other scenarios.

I’ve recorder a screencast for better demonstration - baserow long text issue · CleanShot Cloud

Hey @Alexander, thanks for the video! It really helps us understand requests better.

Let me check this with the development team. I don’t think it should work this way.

Nice idea! I’ve added it to the list of discussions. Thanks for sharing. :pray:

Hi @Alexander, thank you for sharing the two issues. In response to the first one, I agree that this is conflicting a with our multiple cell copy/pasting system. Copying is done in the TSV format because that’s supported by spreadsheets, but that means that every row is separated by a new line. If you copy something with a newline directly in the cell, it will recognize it as multiple rows. What you can do to avoid this is pasting the data when you’re editing the cell value, like in the video below. Please let me know if that works for you.

Hello @Alexander, regarding the idea of wrapping columns, as already mentioned in another thread, unfortunately, it’s not possible to implement this feature because of the way Baserow is built. However, we will enable the configuration of row heights to provide more flexibility. :slightly_smiling_face:

thx for the answer! Yes, that is how I was made to make) Works, but just take long time on a big dataset)

Hi! If you mean the row height like in airtable, then it would be a great solution :+1:

Yes, exactly. I’m glad to hear that it works for you this way. :pray: