Really Struggling with Performance issues

We are running a self-hosted version of Baserow. I chose Baserow due to the simplicity, but i’m running into performance issues with our API’s. The APIs are so slow, even 300,000 ms Timeouts are kicking in on a filter API.

Our Server Specs

• Azure - Standard D8
  • 8 core
  • 32GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD - 7500 IOPS & 250 MBPS Throughput

The server sits at this resoruce usage

• 66% of RAM used (20gb)
  • CPUs about 20% (L.AVG of 4.00)

Baserow Install

We run on docker via Portainer

Table Sizes

They are big. The frontend is completely locked out right now and this is a semi-production machine, so here are my latest numbers.

Table 1 - 35million x 4 rows (high traffic)
Table 2 - 13million x 8 rows
Table 3 - 10 million x 3 rows
Table 4 - 35 million x 3 rows

Ideas

So of course, I am thinking to

• increase Gunicorn works and workers, does anyone have any advise on the ratio or number I should be looking for?
  • Reducing the number of records
  • Work directly with the underlying PostReSQL DB (I have no idea)
  • Dump it on our dev team :slight_smile:

But, I am lost with any other ideas.

We use Elastic DB within our company, and Baserow was for a small subset of data and was never meant to grow this large.

I’m a newbie to databases, so please go easy on me.

Hi @dalekirkwood, thank you for sharing all the information. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone running Baserow with so many rows in in their tables.

Can you give me insight how many API requests you’re making to the server? And also what kind of requests you’re making? Do they list rows using a search query, filters, sorts, etc. Are many rows being created, updated or deleted? Anything could requests.

Some additional questions:

• Which version of Baserow do you currently run?
  • How many fields do you have in each table?
  • Have you thought about splitting Baserow up into multiple services? This will help you to identify where the bottleneck might me.
    • Multiple application servers.
    • Separate PostgreSQL server.
    • Separate Redis server.
  • If you can reduce the number of rows, then do that, it will help.

There are many things that can cause performance problems. Some things that come top of mind:

• Your table is huge, and Baserow tries to add it to add every row to the search index. This process is CPU intensive, can time out, and constantly restart.
  • If you’re making many update requests to the same row, basically a new request before the other one has completed, could put the gunicorn workers in a deadlock.
  • The bottleneck might be in the PostgreSQL database server.

Some other notes:

• If you’re using 20GB memory, then there is room to scale the gunicorn workers up even more to handle more concurrent API requests, although I’m not really sure how well 45+ gunicorn workers work in combination with an 8 core CPU. Every gunicorn worker should consume around 150MB of memory.

Anyway, these are all just some thoughts. It would be great to get more insights in what you’re doing if I want to help.