Remember the last used view for each table in a database

Motivation

1. I have multiple tables in a single database that all are related to each other under a common topic (as expected)
  2. I have to review information between multiple tables, so I need to switch between them.
  3. So I switch from (table A, view X) to table B, and then back to table A. When I switch back to table A, the view is also changed to default. This requires me an extra click and also an extra page load to then load view X.
  4. I have to do step 3 multiple times a day, so it becomes frustrating very quickly.

Current workaround

Right now I open each specific view in a new tab, to avoid having to switch between them using web navigation.

Feature request

1. Remember the last used view, per table, per user
  2. When navigating to a table URL without specifying the view argument (https://baserow.io/database/X/table/Y), display the remembered view (from step 1) instead of the default view.
2 Likes

Okay, right after posting this, I realized I can press the browser back button to go back to my previous page as well :stuck_out_tongue:

I can imagine that complex user flows might not benefit from the browser back button, but my motivation in particular is solved.

1 Like

Hey :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure if this is feasible for your situation, but you can also change the order of views inside a table. You can drag another view all the way to the top so it’s the “first view” and then that view will be loaded by default.

This doesn’t help of course if you need to switch views all the time, but if your use case is always going from the same view on different tables, then I think this will save you some time :slight_smile:

Thanks Alex. The table is shared in a team so I cannot reorder the views (I assume, they would be re-ordered for everyone)

(I assume, they would be re-ordered for everyone)

Correct, they would be.

Remembering the last view visited could still be a valid feature request imo though, maybe something @olgatrykush can take note of :blue_heart:

1 Like

Thanks, Alex! I added “Remembering the last view visited” to the list of feature requests :ok_hand:

Hello @gaurangtandon! We have plans to implement your request: Remembering the last view visited (#1273) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab, as well as introduce the feature Favorite views (#1272) · Issues · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab. I’ll keep you posted on the progress, thanks for sharing your suggestion with us :blue_heart:

1 Like