Selfhosted Baserow to Cloudron

How can you migrate data from a selfhosted all in one installation to a Cloudron instance?

1 Like

Hello @Peter :wave:

@nigel or @bram could you please check this request?

1 Like

Hi @Peter, it depends a bit on what you would like to achieve. The users, schemas, rows, etc are all stored in the PostgreSQL database. If you have uploaded user files, then they’re stored on S3, a static folder or some other place.

Do you want to move your complete instance, so all your PostgreSQL data including users, all workspaces, all databases, etc, or just a single Baserow database to the Cloudron instance? Both are possible, but require a different approach.

1 Like

Hi @bram,

Thank you for your response. I would like to make a complete copy of my selfhosted Baserow to Cloudron.

Making a complete dump of the PostgreSQL database can be a bit challenging because Baserow can create lots of PostgreSQL tables. We have a script that can help you with this export and import. More information can be found here: docs/runbooks/back-up-and-restore-baserow.md · develop · Baserow / baserow · GitLab. However, it depends on the way you self-host (docker, cloudron, etc) platform which commands you specifically need to run. Please check out this documentation. If it doesn’t work for you, then I’m more than happy to write a more specific guide from the all-in-one docker image to Cloudron.

1 Like

My son is hosting my Baserow database via a all-in-one docker image as far as I remember. I will point him to the documentation and see if that is enough to make it work. :+1:

Hi @bram,

It didn’t work according to my son. Maybe a more specific guide, as you call it, will do the trick.

Hi @Peter, yeah, this is not a step-by-step guide on doing the migration. You need to understand how to transfer files from and to the running containing, how to run management commands, etc. Writing a detailed step-by-step guide will take more time. I’ve added it to my task list, but it might take a while before I can post it here.

1 Like

My Baserow is now running on Cloudron. Did it the simple way with CSV export. It is working as before.

It might be quicker to just build a button that manually dumps Baserow’s databases to files and lets you download it in a zip than actually writing that guide :stuck_out_tongue:

@Peter I’m happy to have that you already managed to do this via the CSV export.

@nigel it would be really nice to have export/import capabilities directly via the web-frontend of Baserow. This will then also allow users to make an offline backup. We have an issue for this somewhere on the backlog.

1 Like