🤔 [Share your opinion] Should we have a Discord channel for Baserow community members?

We believe having a Discord channel (or a similar platform) would be a great way to foster discussion and collaboration within the Baserow community by enabling real-time communication.

In Discord, you will be able to connect with other members and the team more easily and efficiently in a less formal format. But together with this, we have some concerns about how this would affect the way we provide support in the community.

Please share your thoughts on this topic and whether you would be interested in joining a Baserow Discord channel. We look forward to hearing your feedback, so cast your vote below:

• Yes, I like this idea of having a chat-type communication
  • Hm, I don’t see any major advantages of having Discord
  • I don’t care
  • Other [please specify in the comments]

0 voters

Everyone, feel free to participate in this discussion by explaining your opinion in the comments below :point_down:

2 Likes

Discourse and Discord have both advantages and disadvantages. The only drawback would be you would have to mod two communities. Most users are already on multiple Discord servers (like me :wink:). So there would be a short learning curve. And yes it is less formal.

I would just give it a try and see what happens.

1 Like

Imho I don‘t see yet the advantages of having a Discord channel. While it is less informal, the advantage of Discourse is that if you want to have the answer about a specific problem you can easily find out what was already asked before. Furthermore, the mechanisms of Discourse make it irrelevant to visit everyday.

All that said, half of the softwares I work on have their Discord server. But it requires time for moderation.

In the end, I don’t really know what’s best. What I would suggest is that if you think that the community is wide enough, using Discord makes sense.

2 Likes

Yes I would like to be a member of the Baserow discord server :fire:

1 Like

@Peter @dynnammo @Siddharth thanks for sharing your thoughts on this :heart_hands:

Indeed! I assume you are a member of numerous communities which have Discourse + Discord as official community channels, how do you decide which questions/discussions to start on which platform?

1 Like

@dynnammo I agree with you:)

This factor is the most important for me. Indeed, usually, you go to a forum when you have some questions and need help. Even though Baserow is mostly a ‘support’ community, we are trying to grow into an expert type of community. I can already see some progress and that is great, but the question is — would we have a higher activity if we introduce a channel for more instant communication with our members? :thinking:

In essence the users decide what they post where. You can point them to Discourse when questions are already asked.

If the question I am searching for is not found in forum I typically prefer to ask it on discord because many members are always online over there and so there are better chances of getting my answer faster.
But the drawback is if any other user is facing similar problems he will not find the solution in the forum.

1 Like

We use both Discourse and Discord at n8n and while it is great to chat to people it can also be a pain, We try not to get too involved with support on that side and nudge people to Discourse for any complicated issues that might need more eyes or logs…

But I am up for it :smiley:

1 Like