Unable to create account from Invite

Hi
I have disabled “signups” on baserow. When i invite a user to the app as “member”, they get the email with the invitation but it shows them an error on click.
How do we fix this?

Hey @code12, this looks like a bug, I’ll ping someone from the technical team to take a look at this issue.

Hey @code12, are you running the latest version of Baserow (which is 1.9)? In the latest release, we updated the invitation process, and now you need to enable the second option here in your admin settings :point_down:

1 Like

Ah that answers it! Cloudron is running 1.8 i believe. Should be resolved soon once they push an update! Thank you

1 Like

I’m facing a similar issue.

I’m unable to add any new users by inviting them. None of the invitation emails gets delivered!
I’ve implemented the same settings in the Admin section.

Using the latest version of Baserow, in a self-hosted docker setup.

Even the logs for the ‘backend’ container seem alright:

Also, i did already setup the email settings in .env file:

EMAIL_SMTP=true
EMAIL_SMTP_HOST=********
EMAIL_SMTP_PORT=465
EMAIL_SMTP_USE_TLS=
EMAIL_SMTP_USER=********
EMAIL_SMTP_PASSWORD=********
FROM_EMAIL=do-not-reply@********

Hello @shrey, it happens sometimes with invitations :pensive:

Can you please create an account, using the email that was granted with access? The invitation may be available in the dashboard directly. If it’s not there, then let me know and I’ll ask someone from the engineering team to take a look into the problem, thanks!

Hi.

As mentioned, i’ve disabled the sign up option (the 1st option) for new users, and intend to keep it that way.

In that case, how do i create a new account ?

Hi @shrey, what happens when you request a password forgot email for yourself, does the email end up in your mailbox? If not, do you have an SMTP outgoing mail log where you see if the email was send? If so, did they end up in the spam folder?

If the email does not end up in your SMTP log, I would love to learn more about how you currently self host. That way, we can figure out how to access to the Celery logs to see what’s going wrong.

Alternatively, you could temporarily enable signups and create the missing accounts.

Hi @bram , i tried the forgot password link and did not receive any email.

I guess something’s wrong with the SMTP config.

How to debug it?

Have you also checked your spam box?

Debugging depends depends on how you’re self hosting. Can you share some more information regarding your self hosted setup? Are you using Heroku, Cloudron, Docker, docker-compose or Docker?

Yes, I’ve checked the spam folder.

I’m hosting on DigitalOcean, via docker-compose.

Kindly let me know how to resolve this issue.

I would need to see some output logs of the Celery worker directly after you invite a user of request a reset email. Can you do the following and share the results with me:

• SSH into your server
  • Request a password reset email
  • Then execute docker-compose logs --tail=250 celery on your server and share the output log here.

If your SMTP server is not configured correctly or if your Celery worker is not working, I should be able to see an error there.

@bram
This is the output log after inviting a user or sending a password reset email is requested:

celery_1                    | [2022-05-03 13:30:50,685: INFO/MainProcess] Task djcelery_email_send_multiple[47eb99e4-43a4-4469-acd4-f95569751060] received
celery_1                    | [2022-05-03 13:35:51,096: ERROR/ForkPoolWorker-1] djcelery_email_send_multiple[47eb99e4-43a4-4469-acd4-f95569751060]: Cannot reach CELERY_EMAIL_BACKEND django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend
celery_1                    | Traceback (most recent call last):
celery_1                    |   File "/baserow/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/djcelery_email/tasks.py", line 40, in send_emails
celery_1                    |     conn.open()
celery_1                    |   File "/baserow/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/core/mail/backends/smtp.py", line 62, in open
celery_1                    |     self.connection = self.connection_class(self.host, self.port, **connection_params)
celery_1                    |   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/smtplib.py", line 251, in __init__
celery_1                    |     (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
celery_1                    |   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/smtplib.py", line 338, in connect
celery_1                    |     (code, msg) = self.getreply()
celery_1                    |   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/smtplib.py", line 394, in getreply
celery_1                    |     raise SMTPServerDisconnected("Connection unexpectedly closed")
celery_1                    | smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed
celery_1                    | [2022-05-03 13:40:51,453: WARNING/ForkPoolWorker-1] djcelery_email_send_multiple[47eb99e4-43a4-4469-acd4-f95569751060]: Failed to send email message to ['********'], retrying. (SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed'))
celery_1                    | [2022-05-03 13:40:51,468: INFO/MainProcess] Task djcelery_email_send_multiple[47eb99e4-43a4-4469-acd4-f95569751060] received
celery_1                    | [2022-05-03 13:40:51,471: INFO/ForkPoolWorker-1] Task djcelery_email_send_multiple[47eb99e4-43a4-4469-acd4-f95569751060] succeeded in 600.7820863390807s: 0

Note: In case it’s relevant in this case, my email provider does not support TLS 1.0 or TLS 1.1, and i’m using tls=true in my env config

Managed to resolve the issue.

1. In the .env file, removed a ‘#’ from the password that was causing the subsequent digits to become a comment
  2. Changed the port to 587 with tls=true
1 Like