Width and Heights of Images Thumbnails

Hello,

We are currenly setting up Baserow as back-end solution, while integrating with our interface. We were wondering if width and heights for the automatic thumbnails generated when images are uploaded can be adjusted with Docker variables.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @maurizio.moreschi,

It’s currently not possible to change the dimensions of the generated thumbnails via environment variables. They are stored as a setting, but the setting is made specifically for the thumbnails needed in the web-frontend. It’s stored in this file backend/src/baserow/config/settings/base.py · develop · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab on line 480, but you can’t easily change it unless you know how to rebuild Baserow.

We could make additional thumbnail dimensions configurable via environment variables, but it would released in version 1.11 earliest.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am new to baserow from using airtable before and this topic is very interesting to me since i want to use the gallery view as a pattern design portfolio, mostly.

Has there been any development on varying (bigger!) thumbnail sizes in the meantime, and I maybe just didn’t find out where to change them? It would be great to use this view in a more visually stunning way - (and maybe have the option for images to show aligned from the top, not centered?)

Hello @lenes_linien, welcome to the Baserow community :wave:

@bram, since you’ve been involved in this discussion, could you please help answer @lenes_linien’s question?

1 Like

Hi @lenes_linien, there hasn’t been any development on bigger thumbnail sizes because the one we currently have fit well in the gallery view. There are also no plans to choose how they’re cropped, but if you want to have more control over what is shown in the gallery view, then you can also manually crop your images to 300x160, and then upload them to Baserow. This should then always render them the same as the original. I’d recommend trying this out with one image, and see if that fits your requirements.

What do you think of this redesign of the gallery view? Do you think this is visually better? Otherwise, I’d love to hear some feedback on it.

1 Like

Hi Bram,

Thank you so much for your swift answer! That is a good idea for many uses and I’ll keep it in mind. It’s not useful for my usecase of pattern portfoliosheets in a4-ratio with multiple pattern sections though, since those are quite detailed and don’t work well in that small dimension. it would mean quite an extra workload to reformat those as well, I’ll have to go on looking for other possibilities/tools for that. It’s a great tool for organising nevertheless. Thanks again and kind regards
Lene