Drugs Information App

One of the first things i made when i started using Baserow was a Dutch Drugs information app with the help of MIT App inventor .

I work with people with substance abuse.

First i made a version that got the info online but then I just used the generated json so it was usable offline. The text won’t change that much, the images i uploaded as an asset in the app instead of getting it also online. I loved the way i could enter the data.

4 Likes

Hello @Peter! I knew you will be the first from the community to share a use case. Thanks a lot for being the Baserow activist, we appreciate it so much :blue_heart:

That’s an interesting project and you did a lot of work, going to check everything in detail.

3 Likes

This looks great @Peter, thanks for sharing. I had never heard of MIT App Inventor—is this what we’re seeing here?

It looks a lot like Thunkable. :smile:

4 Likes

App Inventor is the mother of all Blockly based builders. It was developed at Google and then adopted by MIT. Thunkable was an App Inventor clone in the beginning. Now it is a completely different product.

The Blockly system was originally made for App Inventor and later adopted by Scratch. Almost everybody has heard of Scratch. Scratch is also made by MIT.

4 Likes

How interesting… I guess it can often be the pioneers and trailblazers that go unsung.

Love to learn, so appreciate you sharing :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Since we are getting somewhat off topic :grinning:

A couple of years ago i visited the App Inventor offices at MIT. In the same hallway there was an office with this name on the door. :star_struck:

3 Likes

Whoaaa, that’s awesome. Talk about perfect timing—this tweet from a few days ago. :smile:

4 Likes

And don’t forget Dennis Ritchie, the creator of C. Dennis Ritchie - Wikipedia

He died a week after Steve Jobs, but there wasn’t as much media attention when he past away.

Other important people

Hal Abelson is one of the founders of Creative Commons and also the person who started App Inventor when on a sabbatical at Google.

4 Likes

Adding Jaron Lanier to this phenomenal list :slight_smile:

4 Likes
3 Likes