Formulas: logical function AND/OR not working as expected

Hi!
I’m quite new to Baserow but have 15+ years of experience with dabases and an extensive experience with other no-code database solutions.

I’m trying to do something fairly basic in a formula field: use a series of and/or conditions to determine the value of a status field.
The problem is, AND and OR functions are limited to 2 arguments, which is quite unexpected and forces to add up many AND/OR operators. This renders formulas quite heavy and very hard to read.

Example with a very simple set of AND conditions:

• instead of:
AND(
  totext(field('Status'))="Validated",
  field('Name')!="",
  field('Description')!="",
  totext(field('Language'))!="",
  field('Rank')>0
)
  • we need to write:
AND(
    AND(field('Name')!="",
      AND(field('Description')!="",
        AND(totext(field('Language'))!="",
        field('Rank')>0
))))

Is there a plan to support more than 2 arguments to AND and OR functions in the future and avoid impossible formulas with dozens of operators?

Best,
Ludo

100% agree that the AND/OR formulas and probably some other functions should work as you have proposed. CONCAT already works this way with a variable number of arguments so it’s very possible for the language to technically support this. Will open a feature request to track this.

Separate thought here, we could also add && (AND) and || (OR) operators to the language which in addition to a better and function. So you could write true && false && false = false etc

I’ve got the same problem.
But somehow the formula with && doesn’t work neither …

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-01 um 06.24.51

Hey @Martin,

Currently, our AND and OR formulas don’t support more than two arguments. As Ludom mentioned in the first comment, we need to write them in a nested way:

AND(
  AND(field('Name')!="",
    AND(field('Description')!="",
      AND(totext(field('Language'))!="",
      field('Rank')>0
  )))
)

I’ve logged this issue here: Add `&&` and `||` operators in formula language (#2135) · Issues · Baserow / baserow · GitLab.
While I can’t promise a specific timeline for addressing this, I’ll discuss it with the team.
Thanks for your feedback.

Hello @davide ,
Have you been able to discuss that with the product team? Is it sth that could be considered in one of the roadmap milestones?
Best,
Ludo

Hello @Ludom,

I’ve created a MR with the changes here Add && and || operators to the formula language.

The changes need to be reviewed and tested, but there’s a high chance we can include them in the next release.

Hi Davide,
Thank you very much, this looks great!
Just one thing: does that mean that we’ll be able to combine these in a formula (e.g. bool1 && bool2 && bool3 && bool4…)?

Best,
Ludo

Yes, this will be a valid formula. You’ll need to properly use parentheses when combining the operators, but it’ll be possible to create, let’s say, a long list of && or || without parentheses.

Example of a working formula:
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 13.35.37

@Ludom Am I missing something or do AND/OR still allow only 2 arguments?

The AND/OR functions? yes, they didn’t change. But now you can use the operators to create more readable combinations as described above.

Hi @davide !
Since the last BaseRow release, I’ve tried using the && syntax but got the following type of error message every time:

Error with formula: argument number 2 given to operator && was of type number but the only usable type for this argument is boolean, argument number 2 given to operator > was of type number but there are no possible types usable here.

Here’s an example of formula that failed:
field('BooleanField1') && field('NumberField2')>0

I’ve tried this with a many different field types but got the same result. For instance:
field('BooleanField1') && field('SingleLineTextField2')!=""
gives an error message saying the 2nd argument is of type text - whereas it clearly is a boolean expression (I checked its validity by using a formula with only 1 term and it did return a boolean value).

Using parentheses like this:
field('BooleanField1') && (field('SingleLineTextField2')!="")
doesn’t change anything.

Could you help me here?

Hi @Ludom,

it’s indeed necessary to use parentheses correctly to create a valid formula. A formula like this works on baserow.io: if(true && (field('nr') != 0), "hello", "bye")

Hi @davide !
As mentioned above, I tried using parentheses and that did not work either.
From what I understand, the problem is that this syntax only works together with the if() function which is not the expected behavior.

As a matter of fact, the only way to make my expression work is to put it like that:
IF(field('BooleanField1') && (field('SingleLineTextField2')!=""), true, false)

Which means more complexity for no reason. It also means that these expressions won’t be usable with other functions unless combined with IF([BooleanExpression], true, false) - that is highly unusual and will surely be confusing for most users.

Best,
Ludo

@Ludom can you share a bit more about your fields and your formula?

As you can see in the pictures below, a formula like field('BooleanField1') && (field('SingleLineTextField2')!="") should correctly create a boolean formula field without the need of an if

Thank you @davide !
I’m surprised: the exact same formula I had tried (which generated the error message reported above) worked well today (I merely copy-pasted it again). Maybe there was an update in the latest BaseRow version?

Best,
Ludo

Are there any plans to allow more than 3 arguments?

I need three and-arguments in an if formula and can’t get it to work with the nested and formulas. Can anyone help me?

You may only need to add some parentheses. Can you provide an example of what isn’t working so I can check?

if(
	and(
		not(isblank(field('Prefix'))), 
			and(field('Messaging Language') = "German", field('Gender') = "m")), 

concat("Herr",totext(field('Prefix'))), 

if(
	and(
		not(isblank(field('Prefix'))), 
			and(field('Messaging Language') = "German", field('Gender') = "f")), 

concat("Frau",totext(field('Prefix'))), 

"CHECK GENDER AND LANGUAGE"))

This is only the very first part of a complex formula we have used for years sucessfully in Google Sheets / MS Excel.

I tried what feels like a 100 different versions.