How to test new weblate translation?


I started to work on Japanese localization, and done somehow 95%+ on Weblate, first drafts for now. So… how can I start testing them ?

I followed “Running the dev environment” instructions, and I could run Baserow locally.
I do not know how the Weblate is integrated to the repository, or Weblate has its own fork…

Any guide or reference to document is appreciated.

Thank you.

Masahiro Minami

First, are you sure that you have pulled your Japanese translations locally ? (In the locale folder in front end : web-frontend/locales · develop · Bram Wiepjes / baserow · GitLab)

Second, i do not find anywhere in the documentation how to test locales but I may haven’t looked through fully.

I think there’s a somewhere in the backend directory where there should be a list of all available locales.

Thank you for the reply, and well no, I haven’t pulled them locally yet.

I just did my Weblate part, and I do not know where the files are to be committed after Weblate.

But I found out that Weblate has “Download” button for translation file, so I downloaded manually those files, and am trying to find out where to put them.

While I can assume that web-frontend locale files should be in its own locales directory, others are not clear for me where (or how) to put them in.

Actually, putting the locale file (ja.json) and adding “Japanese” to “./modules/core/module.js” will give me “Japanese” as language choice but selecting it gives me error (of which I haven’t checked what it says yet, sorry). I am just assuming that Baserow needs other files as well.

So can anyone give me some clues to below questions ?

  • How can I pull weblate generated Japanese files ?
  • If I need to do it manually, how and where should I put them ?

Thank you in advance !

Sorry, I am replying myself - Weblate has path to where the files should be.
I will try them first myself.

And I understood that Weblate itself is the repository, I can clone locally each project of Weblate.

I’m not sure if eventually Weblate commits are to be merged to main repository automatically, or I should commit myself to Gitlab.

But anyway I will try executing with Japanese locale files first.

Hi @masahirominami!

Thanks for the translations! The translations will be merged by us before a release so besides making changes in Weblate, you don’t need to do anything.

Otherwise there are frontend and backend translation files, but most translations are front-end related. I am not sure right now how to test the translations as I personally haven’t done that, but if you can get the locale .json files from weblate, you should be able to put them in Baserow besides the other ones.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @petrs !
So far I can’t run Baserow with my translation files yet.

But I just want to share a few things I tried here:

I was trying to run baserow with json files and .po files from Weblate, but simply placing them in places (mostly under ‘locale’ dir) didn’t work (Japanese was not appearing in the language menu.)

So, after searching around where ‘locale’ or ‘language’ or whatever seemingly-keywords are in the source trees, I ended up with changing 5 files. (git status screenshot at the end of the post).

This actually prompted me with ‘Japanese’ menu in settings, and did change the language, although most of my translation wasn’t appearing.

Then realizing that Weblate doesn’t have .mo files for django, I tried ‘python compilemessages’ to generate .mo files. Which somehow successfully compiled .po files. But nothing really changed.

Finally so far, I added migration file under backend source tree, by copying “” and adding “Japanese” in it.

With which it seems backend server stopped working giving me error that I need to “merge” migration files. But I have very limited understanding of Django and docker, so I can’t find out what to do.

Current “git status” is like this.

There seems more changes needed.

If anybody has ideas about what to do from here, I’d be glad to learn more !

And somehow I got it starting to work.

Django migration problem was totally my ignorance of how it should work, I fixed “dependency” part of the migration manually and the error is gone.

Another errors that I was having was JavaScript errors, which turned out to be that I didn’t import ja resources properly.

So here’s initial result of Japanese Baserow test-run:

Wrapping up what I did to test new translation, in any case anybody wants to try the same:

  1. Locate translation files (.po / .json ) under backend and web-frontend directories (Paths are available in Weblate page)

  2. Add locale configs to below files (I just copied other language configs and change them to ‘ja’):


  1. (Not sure if this is necessary) Add migration file under backend

  2. (Not sure if this is necessary) Execute ‘python -m django compilemessages’ under backend directory to generate ‘.mo’ files

1 Like